The programme operates at two levels: the comprehensive cancer centre and the cancer centre. Specific criteria for each of these two types of centres have been developed. Based on criteria, the designation screening takes place to assess the preliminary designation type of the institute.
Required criteria for first selection CCC:
- Planned annual budget for oncology health care in the year specified (euro) (1.12.5),
- Planned annual budget for oncology research in the year specified (euro) (1.12.5),
- Number of new cancer patients per year (2.2.1)
- Total number of inpatients bed + number of ambulatory day care beds/chairs (2.1.6)
- Number of prospective studies active (open to patient accrual) at the end of the year specified, excluding studies with no accrual (4.3.2),
- Percentage of patients included in clinical trials > 10% (4.3.2)
- Number of peer-review publications, oncology related, in the specified year: national and international (with first or last author employed by the centre) (4.5.1)
- Number of publications with impact factor > 10 (with the first, second of last author from the centre) (4.4.7)
- Number of publications with impact factor between 5 and 10 (with first, second or last author from the centre) (4.4.7),
- Centre covers radiotherapy + surgery + medical oncology.
The final decision for the designation type will be checked during the peer review visit according to an additional checklist.
The Designation Decision Schedule shows how the preliminary designation is defined.