The National Institute of Oncology (NIO) is the principal agency in the fight against cancer in Hungary. The NIO is a government-owned, publicly-funded organization and it has been the epidemiological, organizational, methodological, treatment, research and training hub of Hungarian oncology for more than half a century. The predecessor of the NIO was founded in 1936 under the name of Eötvös Loránd Radium Institute. After WW II the Institute was relocated to its current premises in Buda and was named the National Institute of Oncology.
To fulfill its mission, the NIO provides cancer care to approximately 12 000 patients annually and operates 14 clinical departments, 1 Tumor Pathology Department, 6 research departments and 3 research support departments, with a total of 344 hospital beds and a staff of 1008, including 88 researchers. The Institute has also led the development of the National Cancer Control Program and has established and operates the National Cancer Registry.
The Institute offers graduate and postgraduate oncology education, as well. The PhD education activities are conducted mainly via the Chair of Oncotherapies at the Medical Universities of Pécs, Hungary and Targu-Mures (Marosvásárhely), Romania.
The Institute is a member of the Organization of European Cancer Institutes (OECI) and other major international professional bodies. The NIO is also engaged in international collaborations among others with the Karolinska Institute, the DKFZ and the Shenyang Lianoning Cancer Hospital.